Scifi rpgs, is space handled like Firefly or Star Wars? We talk about the challenges of a scifi game. Hard science and how ‘crazy’ do you get when you offer a scifi rpg to your players?
Episode 15 Show Outline
Random Encounter – messages from audience via email, G+ community or Twitter
Phil Vecchionne, blogger at Gnome Stew, Engine Publishing – contributor for both Eureka: 501 Dramatic Plots to Inspire Game Masters and Masks: 1000 Memorable NPCs For Any Role Playing Game. In 2012 I released my first solo book: Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master’s Guide To Session Prep, weighs in on Episode 12’s – Game Balance: http://www.gnomestew.com/gming-advice/the-real-issues-with-encounter-balance/
Email from Austin
Hey guys, I was thinking, over the last few episodes there has been a lot of talk of stuff like Evercon where it’s run by younger gamers, and a few times Brett has talked about running for his kids. I’d be interested to hear you guys talk a bit about the ways gaming has and is changing through it’s new gamers, and what has changed, for better or worse for people trying to get into the hobby. Thanks, Austin
Greyedout Productions – Get yourself a dice bag from Greyedout Productions, use promo code: GamingandBS to receive 10% off your order
Topics of Discussion
- Picking up our discussion on sci-fi rpgs
- define – Star Wars is not scifi? what makes an rpg scifi?
- popularity – fantasy seems to be big in rpg’s why not scifi?
- expectations – transhuman, what is possible? what is too crazy?
- munsters can be tricky, fascinating
- Popular scifi rpgs
- Stars Without Number
- GURPS Transhuman Space
- Last Parsec – Savage Worlds
- Traveller – original and Mongoose
- Eclipse Phase
- Star Trek
- Serenity/Firefly ?
- Star Frontiers
- Gamma World
- Ashen Stars
- Holiday games – as in having holidays in your game world
- My kids love NPCs
- Happy holidays to folks
- Theories on Time Travel & Wormholes http://www.space.com/28000-physicist-kip-thorne-wildest-theories.html
- Black Hole comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNDao7m41M
Did we miss a scifi game? Have you run scifi rpg? Let us know which one and how you run it! via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 929.BIG.DICE
Leave us a review on iTunes. It helps garner some exposure within the store, and would greatly appreciate it.