We talk about getting new people into the tabletop rpg hobby. Be careful of turning-off new players – killing pc’s, ruling with iron fist, and more.
Episode 8 Show Outline
VOTE DAMMIT! <psa>
Topics of Discussion – New Gamers
- How we got started in RPGs
- The pitch – what to say to someone to get them interested in rpgs
- Mentoring vs Picking it up on your own w/friends
- Our/Brett’s kids
- Caution – language, material,
- Maturity/age level
- What would be a good roleplaying intro game?
- Mechanics – Realise few prospective/new players will read the rules or understand them fully if they do read them.
- Story – find out what they new player(s) are interested in; ask questions
- Length of time/duration
- RPG starter sets
- Turn-offs or things to be careful about
- Simple is best – complexity can come later (if at all)
- Bad experience at table
- killing characters
- ruling with iron fist
- Everyone else gets to do more
- feeling like they’re a bother when they need help
- Sucking them in
- High adventure
- Coolness – define
- Make sure the new players have plenty of spotlight time
- Offer challenge to community!
- My encounter with a pack of wolves while bow hunting in the UP
- I’ve got Gamhole Con locked in!
- Everest Game club event from last weekend
- I’m way too old for this shit…
- Halloween games
- Ghostbusters actual play podcast: http://nerdyshow.com/ghostbusters/