Counting coup in rpgs, it stems from an old tradition of the Native Americans. In roleplaying games it can be considered a different way to handle combat. It doesn’t always have to be ‘to the death’! What if a nonplayer character needs the party to do some bidding, yet they still need to convey their superiority to the not-so-humble player characters. Perhaps a duel is in order, but points are used. And there’s something to be said if a character in your rpg has inflicted multiple scars to that one nemesis in a way that bestows humiliation and dishonor upon that foe. How would you consider using counting coup to spice up your rpg combat encounters?
Incentive for level-based roleplaying game systems is typically experience points. We talk about player character advancement and how pacing goes back to game balance. How do you handle character advancement in level-based systems?
Episode 20 Show Outline
Intro including music and Darktheatre.net
Gamehole Con, met with director Alex, and we’re sorting out our plans.
Now on RPGPodcasts.com
Greyedout ad (https://www.etsy.com/shop/greyedout)
Random Encounter – messages from audience via email, G+ community or Twitter
Email from listener Scott W.
Comments from episode 19 – Homebrew RPG Settings https://gamingandbs.com/2015/01/20/episode-19-homebrew-rpg-settings/#comments
Topic of Discussion
How do you advance characters in your game?
- By the rules (aka as written)
- Modified system
- alternate method? ad-hoc?
Advancement for Characters
- Power climb
- New skills
Die Roll – 2-4 misc points we want to bring up at end of cast. Should be short and sweet, could be a plug, something to check out, etc. Limited time to spout off.
- GenCon prep for my group – so far, so good
- Spy Game – think I need to run one, might try Top Secret for it
- Need a board game for 9yr old boys – Need it to be fast to pick up, and not too complex. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.
- Modular paint workshop http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/wsm/
- Four hour cut of the hobbit https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/i-have-recut-peter-jacksons-hobbit-trilogy-into-a-single-4-hour-film/
- Habit RPG https://habitrpg.com/static/front